Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Welcome!

Welcome! 

I would like to share a little bit about myself, as the K-1 Art Teacher at Archway Chandler & Lincoln.

This will be my third year with Great Hearts; my seventh year teaching. I spent the last two years teaching K-1 Art & Music, in addition to 5th Grade History & Science, at the Anthem Archway campus. My love of learning extends into many subjects, however, Art holds a very special place in my heart.

As a trained classical ballet dancer, my eye is always drawn to subjects of Beauty. I grew up dancing and was, in turn, exposed to not only beautiful movement, but to beautiful music, as well. My grandmother was a painter and I spent much time with her, working on unique projects. An appreciation and love of Art continued into adulthood. While I worked towards my Bachelor’s Degree in Education at Arizona State University, I took several types of Fine Arts classes (involving many disciplines), Art History being one of them. I knew I had to incorporate Art into my work as a classroom teacher, someway, somehow.

In my eight years of teaching various grade levels, I have strived to expose my students to Art in as many ways as possible—from adorning my classroom walls with beautiful pieces of art to incorporating Impressionist Art into a reading unit for 4th and 5th graders. Even during the incredibly busy months of my first year of teaching, I conducted a Van Gogh project with my 2nd graders modeling The Starry Night.

It is my pleasure to introduce your children to the world of Visual Arts and to learn alongside them. Art is more than simply examining a painting. It tells us the stories of human life that preceded us. In K-1 Art classes, we will observe paintings and learn how to verbally describe what we see. We will, then, model certain components/elements that are contained with the paintings. I approach each project by focusing on the basic elements of Art, reviewing them with students regularly.

A note to my students: Always do your best, even when it feels like everything is going wrong. Together, we will learn new things, grow in our knowledge, and practice our art. I promise to share in your sense of wonder and to guide you towards goodness, beauty, and truth.

Thank you for trusting Great Hearts to facilitate your child’s curiosity, sense of wonder, and growth as a scholar!


No comments:

Post a Comment